Teaching and Mentoring

Doctoral Advisor

I mentor three doctoral students at Georgia State University. I advise them on coursework and program milestones, and I oversee their research. I have graduated one PhD student. I am accepting applications for new doctoral students who are interested in computing education or online learning in STEM via my department’s Instructional Design and Technology Ph.D. program.


Introduction to the Learning Sciences

learning sciences

I am teaching an Introduction to the Learning Sciences course for graduate students. It is an online, synchronous course with masters and doctoral students. Once a month, the doctoral students and I meet to practice applying concepts to research design. My goal for the course is to introduce students to major methods, theories, and ways of providing evidence and to develop their skill in thinking and researching like a learning scientist.


Computer Skills for the Information Age


I am teaching a digital literacy course for undergraduates. The course is an asynchronous, online course, so there are no course meetings. I recently updated the textbook that is used for the course: Computer Skills for the Information Age: An Early College Student’s Primer.


Instructional Design


I teach Instructional Design for masters students. The course is a synchronous, online course. My major goal for this course is to have students to engage with each other and an activity-focused class using the online platform.



Critique of Education Research


I teach a seminar-style course for doctoral students on critiquing research. We discussed theoretical frameworks, methods, and designs. The students completed 5 major assignments to develop their professional skills related to conducting research and being a scholar.


Engineering Psychology


I taught Engineering Psychology for undergrads. Because Engineering Psychology is an applied field, I designed the course to be project-based. Students have 4 small projects to complete throughout the semester, which comprised the bulk of students’ grades.



Research Methods

research methodsI taught a large section of Research Methods for undergrads. About 75% of my students were computer science majors, and the other 25% are psychology majors. I lead an instructional team that comprises me, 2 lab instructors, and 2 teaching assistants. I developed all components of the course and worked with the lab instructors to guide development of the lab.


Introduction to Psychology

intro to psychologyI co-taught a large section (about 80 students) of Introduction to Psychology and was responsible for modules on memory, sensation, and perception. For these modules, I prepared and gave lectures, distributed lecture outlines and study guides, and developed test questions.